Statement-Making AccessoriesWhen putting together an outfit in the morning we start with the basic pieces and continue to build up the look. For a male: belt, shoes, pocket square and cuff links - all critical components for a complete look. Need I say, a female would simply look plain without jewelry, a purse, nail polish and make up? Similarly to people, rooms are in an incredible need for accessories.
Accessories can add character and a clear statement in any space. They are a direct language for conveying your point of view, your style, and your character. Accessories can be divided in to two groups: time-specific and all time classics. Time-specific accessories are great at expressing our mood and current state - Seasonal Touches are a great example of time-specific accessories. Such accessories may also have a vivid, saturated color scheme or be a direct reflection of a interior decor trend. Unfortunately, time-specific accessories have a great disadvantage - they have a capability to bore us - trends vanish and strong colors irritate. That is the reason why when choosing accessories it is import to focus on all time classics. Ageless, all time classics will stay in fashion forever and will always please one's eye.
Below are 12 rooms with different accessories in them: Try to figure out which are the all time classics and which are the time specific ones.
1. The featured item Gold leaf Bangle Table is an example of an all time classics accessory, the table has multiple uses: it's great as a magazine table in your foyer or a bed side table, or , as in this case, a coffee table. It has a very versatile look to it - the table would easily suit multiple environments - rustic, bohemian, chic or even contemporary. The brass finish does not tie up to any color scheme, as gold, silver, brass will complement any palette.
Note the Skull art piece on the wall in this room - this is a time-specific piece. Chances are, when the owner of this room finally gets married, the art will go.
4. Recall those Baroque Chandeliers seen in history books? Guess what? Even after hundreds of years, those are still in style. This is one all time classic accessory that will always wow guests and never disappoint. Traditionally, they are made with great quality and will last forever. You will think that such chandeliers are only good for traditional decor, yet this is not the case, check out how White Stella 4-light Chandelier fits into this modern and hip room.
Take a look at another example of how a traditional chandelier can complement a very modern and colorful space:
5. Let's be honest: even if you adore pink, too much of it will overwhelm your eyes over time.
An easy way to convert a time-specific lamp in to an all time classic is by changing the shade to a more neutral tone, as in the Janita Table Lamp example. The lamp can be maintained very active in ornaments or color, but a more sophisticated shade will create a very classic, chic look.
6. When creating a space with a rustic feel, a modern drum adds a very contemporary touch. Material in this case would be key: if choosing an opaque parchment shade in a dark color a futuristic look will be created - time-specific accessory; on the other hand, a linen drum in tawny will emphasize the rustic atmosphere and serve as a all time classic as in Class Motif Lamp example.
7. One will fall in love with a fixture like a Small Seaward Chandelier - simply change the sconces from hot pink to a neutral color and - voila! - a time specific accessory becomes an all time classic. The same can be done for Natural Brass Up Swing Arm with Shade.
8. Mirrors in a metallic finish are an outstanding accessory for any room. If you believe that the one used in the room below is too grandiose, use something mildly posh like Rectangular Antique Gold Mirror as an ultimate all time classic.
9. It is always advantageous to have a floor lamp that can suit multiple spaces. When making a choice, an industrial floor lamp might be a little limiting. Instead, a traditional floor lamp with an empire shade will add a little more coziness and freedom, as the shade can always be replaced. The shape of the shade and silhouette of the lamp will guarantee an all time classic look.
10. The final and best advice that I can give is never fear adding classic accessories into modern spaces. In the example below a Federal Antiqued Silver Leaf Mirror would perfectly fit the modern room, it will make the room more interesting and unique. Classic accessories have a more diverse spectra of applicability, they do not age and they add character.